Venosta Railway Car -100 Years Old
Following World War One, Canadian Pacific began to modernize their passenger cars. This car was initially built in 1921. It had 10 berths, with 2 beds per berth. The berths, deck mouldings, and interior partition work comprise primarily mahogany with marquetry on the walls and teak edging. The interiors were designed with the passengers’ comfort in mind. Each compartment had individual heating and ventilation controls and was equipped with long baggage racks, an umbrella rack, trays, hooks, sink, and toilet. Also a boot box from which the porter could retrieve the passengers’ shoes, polish them and replace them without disturbing the travellers. One end of the car contained a ladies powder room and at the other was a porter’s room, vapour heater and a linen locker.
The Venosta entered service named the Glen Atha and operated until May 1942, when it was completely refitted at Angus Shops to increase its capacity. In its rebuilt form as a Boarding Car, "Venosta" was named after a town in Quebec. “Venosta” was removed from service in November 1964 and became an Instruction Car No. 49. (The Venosta was used to teach staff the railway’s operating rules.) “The interior was rebuilt as a long classroom with tables placed against the windows for the use of trainees. At one end was a compartment to serve as an office and sleeping quarters for the instructor.”
The Venosta was retired in 1985 and restored in the fall of 1987, with assistance from the West Coast Railway Association.