The Port Moody Station, built in 1908, was the second railway station in the area. In 1945, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) moved the station closer to town and it operated at this Queen St. location until it was officially closed on September 25th, 1976, when the CPR discontinued their passenger service. The Port Moody Historical Society (now the Port Moody Heritage Society), who were operating a museum on Kyle St., bought the station. In 1978, it was moved to its present location on Murray St. and refurbished to serve as a museum facility. The Station Museum was officially opened on July 1st, 1983.
Also on the property are various railway pieces, including a 1921 CPR sleeping car, the Venosta. Restored in 1987 with assistance from the West Coast Railway Association, the Venosta features two sleeping compartments and a ladies’ powder room with accessories from the 1920s.
The railway display in front of the station features four-man handcars and a boomcar, which were originally used by track crews for transportation and the delivering of supplies for maintaining the railway right-of-ways.
The Port Moody Heritage Society has been collecting artifacts and photographs representing the Port Moody area since its beginning. Today, these acquisitions are stored in the climate controlled basement of the Museum. The artifact collection contains over 17,000 pieces including more than 4,000 historical photos.